2014 Speical Call For Scholarship Applications
The Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme was launched in 2007 with the aim of contributing to the production and retention of high caliber African human capital for sustainable development of the continent in critical development areas, while promoting regional integration through intra-African mobility of students. The Scholarship Scheme is intended to enable young Africans to study in leading African Universities with a binding agreement that beneficiaries will work in any African country for at least the same duration of scholarship period after graduation.
To encourage the participation of young African female students at postgraduate level, for Masters and PhD programmes in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Education Science (STEME), the Commission of the African Union is offering the second Special Call for Scholarship Applications (For Female Applicants Only) to study in reputable African Universities.
To be eligible for the Special Scholarship, a candidate must:
- Be a Female Citizen of an African Union Member State
- Be under the age of thirty Five (35) years for Masters Programmes and under forty (40) years for PhD Programmes.
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field, at the level of Upper Second Class Honours for a Master’s Programme; and a holder of Masters’ Degree in the relevant field for a PhD Programme. The degree must be from a reputable University.
- Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by academic transcripts and academic awards if any.
- Have proof of admission to undertake a full time Masters or PhD programme in a recognized university of an African Member State.
- Be willing to commit to work in an African Union Member State on completion of studies for at least three (3) years.
No application will be considered without an admission letter from a university.
Note: In order to promote, intra-Africa student mobility, candidates are encouraged to seek admission to universities in countries other than their own.
Eligible Fields of Study
The following fields of study are eligible:
- Education Science.
The Masters programme should be of two years duration; while the PhD programme should be of three years duration.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should complete the Application Form in PDF format as well as the EXCEL Applicants’ Data Sheet, which are available on the African Union web-site: www.au.int/nyerere
The applicants should submit their formal application which should include the following:
- Completed Application Form
- Recent passport-size photograph
- Summarized CV with names and contacts of three referees
- Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts.
- Certified copies of Passport or national Identity Card indicating citizenship
- Copy of admission letter from a recognized African University.
- Two (2) Reference Letters with contact addresses.
- An essay of not more than 500 words that explains why the candidate has chosen her particular field of study and its importance to Africa’s development.
Note that Electronic Copies of all the above documents should be submitted.
Applicants must scan and produce electronic copies of all the above documents (converted to PDF format) and send to the following email address.
In addition two (2) sets of hard copies of the above documents must be sent by post to the address below:
Mwalimu Nyerere Scholarship Programme
Department of Human Resources, Science and Technology
African Union Commission
P.O BOX 3243
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing Date: 31st May, 2014